Friday, August 30, 2013

Day 47: Alma 25-27

Hello My Reading Friends!

Can you believe it is Friday already?  So happy for the weekend.  We have my husband's brother and his family staying with us until Monday.  I am so grateful for family.  What a blessing it is to get together.  Tomorrow we are going to play some tennis in the morning.  So fun!  This afternoon I got a call from my 6 year old's 1st grade teacher and apparently he had stuck a rock in his ear.  My husband picked him up and took him to our dr's office.  They were able to get it out no problem but what a way to end the 2nd week of school!  LOL!  Here is a picture of him on the way home from the doctors.  I bet he was so happy to get that rock out!

On another note, my big sister got her Master's degree today!  She is the first one out of all my siblings that has graduated from college with a Bachelors and a Masters.  I am so proud of her!  She has been through so much these past years being a single mom of 4 kids, working full time, AND going to school full time.  What a great example she is to me.  Way to go Sis!!


I loved today's reading!  There are so many verses that I have highlighted.  How about you?  Have you highlighted your favorites in these chapters?  I love all of the many miracles that happened to the Lamanites after the Gospel of Jesus Christ was taught to them.  Here are some of my favorite scriptures…

Alma 26:16
"Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever.  Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord?  Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men?  Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel."

I looooove that verse!  It is so true!  "Who can glory too much in the Lord?"  None of us can.

    Alma 26:15–16. “Who Can Glory Too Much in the Lord?”

  • Just as Ammon felt to glory in the Lord and to sing His praises, so should we. Sister Sheri L. Dew, while serving as a counselor in the Relief Society general presidency, taught us concerning the role Jesus Christ plays in our daily lives:
    Is it possible to be happy when life is hard? To feel peace amid uncertainty and hope in the midst of cynicism? Is it possible to change, to shake off old habits and become new again? Is it possible to live with integrity and purity in a world that no longer values the virtues that distinguish the followers of Christ?
    “Yes. The answer is yes because of Jesus Christ, whose Atonement ensures that we need not bear the burdens of mortality alone. …
    “Through the years I, like you, have experienced pressures and disappointments that would have crushed me had I not been able to draw upon a source of wisdom and strength far greater than my own. He has never forgotten or forsaken me, and I have come to know for myself that Jesus is the Christ and that this is His Church. With Ammon I say, ‘[For] who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy … ? Behold, … I cannot say the smallest part which I feel’ (Alma 26:16). I testify that in this, the twilight of the dispensation of the fulness of times, when Lucifer is working overtime to jeopardize our journey home and to separate us from the Savior’s atoning power, the only answer for any of us is Jesus Christ” 

Here is the entire talk given by Sheri L. Dew.  Hope you enjoy it!


I also not only highlighted, but underlined the following scriptures…

Alma 26:22
"Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing -- unto such it is given to know the mysteries of God; yea, unto such it shall be given to reveal things which never have been revealed; yea, and it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance, even as it has been given unto us to bring these our brethren to repentance."

Alma 26:27
"Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said:  Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success."

That is such a comforting promise that is for us as well.  We can liken all scriptures unto us as these are words for our day as well as in the days of old.

    Alma 26:27. Perseverance Leads to Success

  • The success the sons of Mosiah experienced among the Lamanites exceeded their expectations (see Alma 26:30–31). As they began their missions, the Lord promised, “I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls” (Alma 17:11). With this promise they “took courage to go forth unto the Lamanites to declare unto them the word of God” (Alma 17:12). Success in their endeavors did not come automatically, even though the Lord had promised it. During the course of their 14-year mission, they experienced “all manner of afflictions” (Alma 26:30). The record further indicates their hearts became “depressed, and [they] were about to turn back” (Alma 26:27). Yet, trusting in the promises of the Lord, they continued their efforts. Then, as He always does, the Lord honored His promises and rewarded their perseverance.
The following is a GREAT discussion/ talk about dealing with trials in our lives.  I hope it touches your hearts.

I want to close today by sharing a song by Hilary Weeks about our Savior.  I am so grateful that I have a Savior, Jesus Christ, who atoned for my sins.  I am far from perfect but I know that I can be perfect in him.  Love to you all!  Have a wonderful night!


No comments:

Post a Comment