Sunday, August 4, 2013

Day 21: Jacob 1-3

Hello Everyone!

We are starting the Book of Jacob today.  In the beginning of the first chapter we see that Nephi dies.  I am so grateful for the teachings of Nephi that encompassed 1 Nephi and 2 Nephi.  I have learned so much from studying his teachings.  

I'll share some thoughts from some of the scriptures that pop out to me today.

Jacob 1:4
"And if there were preaching which was sacred, or revelation which was great, or prophesying, that I should engraven the heads of them upon these plates, and touch upon them as much as it were possible, for Christ's sake, and for the sake of our people."


This scripture made me think of my own personal journaling.  Am I keeping a record of all things spiritual for my children and children's children?  I truly enjoy scrapbooking, which I consider a form of journaling, but I do not write personal happenings on my scrapbook pages.  

How will keeping a personal journal bless me and my family?

The Lord and His prophets have emphasized the importance of keeping records. Writing in a personal journal gives us an opportunity to reflect on our lives and recognize the many blessings God has given us. Our journals can also be a source of inspiration and strength to future generations of our families.


(I consider this page to be one of my "journals")

Jacob 1:7
"Wherefore we labored diligently among our people, that we might persuade them to come unto Christ, and partake of the goodness of God, that they might enter into his rest,…"

President Henry B. Eyring said:
"The words “come unto Christ” are an invitation. It is the most important invitation you could ever offer to another person. It is the most important invitation anyone could accept. From the beginning of the Restoration of the gospel in this dispensation, it has been the charge given by Jesus Christ to His representatives. Their charge has been “to warn, expound, exhort, and teach, and invite all to come unto Christ.”


Jacob 2:18-19


18 But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God.
 19 And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted.

One of my favorite scriptures from today's reading is in Jacob 3 verses 1 and 2.

Jacob 3:1-2

But behold, I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart. Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction.
 O all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm, forever.

Those words give me such great peace and comfort.

I hope you all have a great night.  I will check in with you tomorrow.  I am super sleepy and ready for bed.  I had a great day at church and then went out and visited a handful of sisters in my church.  I love fellowshipping with the sweet ladies in my ward!

Hugs,
Robyn

3 comments:

  1. Such a sweet lesson today. I am so glad you have the fellowship of many sisters of Christ. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping a journal is a big part of my life. I started one right before I was baptized. I may not write in it daily but do write often. It helps me look back on what was going on on a particular day. One day I hope my family will read it and keep passing it along to the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Journals are a fantastic source when it comes to compiling your life history...

    ReplyDelete