Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 38: Alma 5-6

Happy middle of the week Everyone!

I hope you enjoyed today's reading!  I absolutely LOVE Alma 5 and I think of it often in my life.  Before we get started on today's post I want to share something I read today on lds.org.  Thought you might like to read it, too.  It's kind of long but worth it!

Click HERE to read it!

Alma 5…

Introduction
When the Church and the newly formed Nephite government were threatened by internal wickedness and contention (see Alma 4:9–11), Alma knew that true reform could only come through a mighty change in the hearts of Church members. Many leaders might have attempted to alter the laws to change behavior. But Alma understood what modern prophets know: “The Lord works from the inside out. … The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature” (Ezra Taft Benson, in Conference Report, Oct. 1985, 5; or Ensign, Nov. 1985, 6).
Alma gave up his political position as chief judge and started traveling throughout the Church, calling the people to repentance. His reformation efforts began in the capital city of Zarahemla and moved to Gideon. Watch how Alma invites the wayward Church members of Zarahemla to examine their lives and experience “a mighty change.”

I LOOOVE verse 14 in chapter 5…

Alma 5:14
"And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God?  Have ye received his image in your countenances?  Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?"

    Alma 5:12–14. A “Mighty Change in Your Hearts”

  • President Marion G. Romney (1897–1988) of the First Presidency described conversion—experiencing a mighty change of heart—as a transformation process involving and affecting every aspect of one’s life: “The verb convert means ‘to turn from one belief or course to another,’ [and] conversion is ‘a spiritual and moral change attending achange of belief with conviction.’ As used in the scriptures, convertedgenerally implies not merely mental acceptance of Jesus and his teachings, but also a motivating faith in him and in his gospel, a faith which works a transformation, an actual change in one’s understanding of life’s meaning and in one’s allegiance to God—in interest, in thought, and in conduct. While conversion may be accomplished in stages, one is not really converted in the full sense of the term unless and until he is at heart a new person”.

President Ezra Taft Benson (1899–1994) shared some characteristics of those who have experienced a mighty change of heart:
“When you choose to follow Christ, you choose to be changed. …
“The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature. …
“Yes, Christ changes men, and changed men can change the world.
“Men changed for Christ will be captained by Christ. Like Paul they will be asking, ‘Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?’ (Acts 9:6). Peter stated, they will ‘follow his steps’ (1 Peter 2:21). John said they will ‘walk, even as he walked’ (1 John 2:6).
“Finally, men captained by Christ will be consumed in Christ. To paraphrase President Harold B. Lee, they set fire in others because they are on fire."

When I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints over 18 years ago the following song was sung at my baptism.  It will always be special to me.  I hope you enjoy it.


I was looking at older pictures tonight of before and after I joined the LDS "Mormon" church.  I can see a difference in my countenance.   I truly look happy and you can see it in my eyes.  I want you all to know that I know that these teachings are true.   I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ brings true happiness and I have a strong testimony of that principal.  I hope you all find happiness as you read from the teachings of the Book of Mormon.  I know that if you read and pray for your own answers you will receive them and the Lord will bless you in your efforts to search for the truth.

I am going to have to keep it short tonight.  It's been a long day (even though I have so much more I want to share from today's reading).  I hope you will write down your thoughts in your journal and highlight the scriptures that are speaking to you.  Thank you so much for reading with me.  I pray for you daily and feel your prayers for my family as well.

Big hugs!
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment