Monday, August 26, 2013

Day 43: Alma 16-17

Dear Friends,

I hope you all have had a great Monday.  I loved the peace I felt today.  I woke up, said a prayer that today would be a better day than yesterday, and then had very many faith-promoting experiences.  I just felt the love of my Savior for all of His children and how He wants us all to be happy.  I hope you can feel the love He has for you!  I hope you also know that you all are daughters and sons of a King. Here is a special video for you all today to start off my post.  I hope you will feel the Spirit as you listen to the words and view the pictures in the presentation.
Today we are reading about how the people of Ammonihah were destroyed by the Lamanites and then the story of the Sons of Mosiah which is also one of my favorite stories in the Book of Mormon.  I will just share some of my favorite scriptures from today's reading.  I hope you will also take a minute to share some of your thoughts and favorite scriptures with us.

Alma 16:16
"And there was no inequality among them; the Lord did pour out his Spirit on all the face of the land to prepare the minds of the children of men, or to prepare their hearts to receive the word which should be taught among them at the time of his coming --"

In Chapter 17 we start with how Alma runs into the Sons of Mosiah for the first time since they departed into the land of the Lamanites.  He is so full of joy and happiness to find that they are still his "brethren in the Lord".  Starting at the end of verse 3 we read…


"…for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.

"But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophesy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with the power and authority of God."


WOW!  What great examples they are to me.  If I want to feel the Spirit more in my life it is outlined right there in those verses what I need to do.  I have loved studying the scriptures with all of you and I have felt the Lord's presence more in my life daily.  I hope you have also felt a difference in your life.


We then learn that the Sons of Mosiah had been teaching among the Lamanites for 14 years!  WOW!  That is dedication!  Our missionaries serve for 2 years (the girls serve for 18 months).  Here are some of our newest Elders in the mission field in our area.  The one on the left has only been out for one week!  After dinner tonight they took a few minutes to teach us a lesson about the Plan of Salvation.



If you would ever like to have our missionaries over for dinner they would LOVE it!  Just click HERE to get information on the missionaries in your area.  They are serving all over the world and probably very close to your area.  Even if you are not interested in my church they love to eat and share a message of hope and faith.  You can also click HERE if you would like to visit one of our worship services on Sunday.  Would love to hear your thoughts on my church!

Back to our reading..

We then read how the Sons of Mosiah tell Alma all that had happened since he'd seen them last.  I love the following scripture.

Alma 17:10
"And it came to pass that the Lord did visit them with his Spirit, and said unto them:  Be comforted.  And they were comforted."

Here is the story of Ammon is simplistic terms.  I cannot wait to read about what happens after his encounter at the waters of Sebus!

Ammon: A Great Servant

Book of Mormon Stories, (1997), 64–68

sons of Mosiah leaving
The four sons of Mosiah left Zarahemla to teach the Lamanites the gospel. They each went to a different city.
Ammon being captured
Ammon went to the land of Ishmael. As he entered the city, the Lamanites tied him up and took him to their king, Lamoni.
Lamoni and Ammon
Ammon told King Lamoni that he wanted to live among the Lamanites. Lamoni was pleased and had his men untie Ammon.
Ammon guarding flocks
Ammon said he would be one of the king’s servants. The king sent him to watch his flocks.
Lamanites scattering flock
One day while Ammon and some other servants were taking the flocks to get water, Lamanite robbers scattered the animals and tried to steal them.
servants with Ammon
The servants who were with Ammon were scared. King Lamoni had killed his other servants who had lost animals to these robbers.
Ammon
Ammon knew this was his chance to use the Lord’s power to win the hearts of the Lamanites. Then they would listen to his teachings.
Ammon talking to servants
Ammon told the servants that if they gathered the scattered animals, the king would not kill them.
Ammon gathering animals
Ammon and the other servants quickly found the animals and drove them back to the watering place.
Ammon talking to servants
The Lamanite robbers came back. Ammon told the other servants to guard the flocks while he fought the robbers.
robbers
The Lamanite robbers were not afraid of Ammon. They thought they could easily kill him.
Ammon killing robbers
The power of God was with Ammon. He hit and killed some of the robbers with stones, which made the rest of the robbers very angry.
Ammon fighting robber
They tried to kill Ammon with their clubs, but each time a robber lifted a club to hit Ammon, he cut off the robber’s arm. Frightened, the robbers ran away.
servants talking to king
The servants took the cut-off arms to King Lamoni and told him whatAmmon had done.


I hope you all have a great night and I will see you tomorrow!

Hugs,
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment