Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day 25: Words of Mormon - Mosiah 1

Hello Dear Friends!

How is your reading coming along so far?  Anyone have any thoughts they would like to share?  We'd love to hear them.  Just leave them on the comment link below.

Today was another day of shopping but this time with my 15 year old.  It was much easier with her as she knew what she wanted and we got all of her clothes at one store.  Nice!  This year I gave my girls a budget and let them decide what they want to spend it on (as long as I approved).  They are having to look at prices, sale racks, specials, and decide if it is really worth their school budget.  I had a budget when I was their age (which was super small, I might add) so I know they can do it with just a little more than I had.  It's amazing what they find when they know they are running out of money.  Plus, I feel, that it is teaching them to be frugal with their money when they are older and on their own.

For todays reading we read the Words of Mormon and Mosiah 1.  I found the following on lds.org.  I thought this would help describe what the Words of Mormon are.

Why Study This Book?

Through a study of Words of Mormon, you can increase your faith that “the Lord knoweth all things” (Words of Mormon 1:7) and that He guides His servants to bring about His purposes. As a historical account, the book serves as a bridge between the small plates of Nephi (1 Nephi–Omni) and Mormon’s abridgment of the large plates of Nephi (Mosiah–4 Nephi). Words of Mormon can help you better understand which records Mormon abridged as he compiled the Book of Mormon. It also introduces you to the faith and accomplishments of King Benjamin.

Who Wrote This Book?

Mormon wrote this book. He was a prophet, a record keeper, and the abridger and compiler of most of the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is named after him. He was also a Nephite general and a righteous father. The prophet Moroni was his son.

When and Where Was It Written?

Mormon wrote this book about A.D. 385, after having “witnessed almost all the destruction of [his] people, the Nephites” (Words of Mormon 1:1). Mormon did not record where he was when he wrote this book.


In Mosiah 1 verse 7, I love how Mosiah exhorts his sons to study the scriptures.  We can take this same counsel into our own lives.

Mosiah 1:7
"And now, my sons, I would that ye should remember to search them diligently, that ye may profit thereby; and I would that ye should keep the commandments of God, that ye may prosper in the land according to the promises which the Lord made unto our fathers."



*As always, if you have any questions and would like to chat live with a member of my church, click HERE.

Request a copy of the Book of Mormon 
HERE to join us at any time!  You can read along online HERE while you are waiting for your copy to arrive in the mail.*

Have a great night!  
Robyn

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful for the men of faith for keeping record of their people!

    ReplyDelete