Monday, September 23, 2013

Day 70: 3 Nephi 1-3

Happy Fall Everyone!

This is my favorite time of year.  I love the cooler weather, the changing colors, and the smells around my house.  I woke up early this morning and was able to take my oldest daughter to Seminary at 6:00 am.  When we stepped outside it was almost cold!  Love Oklahoma weather, one day 95 degrees, the next day 55!  LOL!


(No, this was not a picture from today.  LOL!  This is what I can't wait it to look like outside!)

I also love Fall because of our church's General Conference.  We are able to watch or listen to it from our house, which is so nice.  I cannot wait to sit on my couch with my notebook feasting upon the words of Christ.  The little children usually do some Conference print outs that I have ready for them and then they craft, color, or play with dough during the broadcast.  I like to have them in the room and feel of the Spirit even if they are a little too wiggly to sit through 2 hours in the morning and then another 2 in the afternoon for Saturday and Sunday.  Of course, my older children sit and try to take notes with me.


(I took this picture of the Salt Lake Temple myself a few years ago.)

I will share the link to watch or listen to General Conference with me in the next week.  For now you can go to www.lds.org to learn more about it.

Today we are starting 3 Nephi.  Nephi is the son of Nephi who is the son of Helaman.  

3 Nephi 1:3-4
"Then he departed out of the land, and whither he went, no man knoweth; and his son Nephi did keep the records in his stead, yea, the record of this people.

"And it came to pass that in the commencement of the ninety and second year, behold, the prophecies of the prophets began to be fulfilled more fully; for there began to be greater signs and greater miracles wrought among the people."

I love 3rd Nephi as this is when we read about the Savior's visit to the Nephites in the Americas after his death and resurrection.  The following is a great quote from lds.org…

Introduction

President Ezra Taft Benson (1899–1994) observed that “the record of the Nephite history just prior to the Savior’s visit reveals many parallels to our own day as we anticipate the Savior’s second coming” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1987, 3; or Ensign, May 1987, 4). Only those with firm testimonies and full conversions were able to remain steadfast prior to the Savior’s appearance in America. The same is true in our day. Only those with firm testimonies and full conversions will be able to remain steadfast prior to the Lord’s Second Coming. A careful study of 3 Nephi 1–7 will help you understand how your testimony of Jesus Christ and conversion to His gospel will give you the sustaining strength you need to stay true to the Savior during the challenging days in which you live.
In chapter 1 the unbelievers do not think that the sign of the Savior's birth will actually happen so they set apart a day that they will put the believers to death!  Isn't that crazy?  I cannot imagine that happening in our society today.  So thankful to live in a land of religious freedom.  Nephi is distraught and cries mightily to Heavenly Father.  He is given this response…

3 Nephi 1:13
"Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfill all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets.

"Behold, I come unto my own, to fulfill all things which I have made known unto the children of men from the foundation of the world, and to do the will, both of the Father and of the Son -- of the Father because of me, and of the Son because of my flesh.  And behold, the time is at hand, and this night shall the sign be given."

We then read about the sign being given.  Many unbelievers are astonished and fall to their knees.  Many are converted unto the Lord.

3 Nephi 1:23
"And it came to pass that Nephi went forth among the people, and also many others, baptizing unto repentance, in the which there was a great remission of sins.  And thus the people began again to have peace in the land."


And while the signs were being given in the Americas to the Nephites, the following was happening in another land.




I am so touched writing this post for you all today.  I know that my Savior was born of Mary and that he came to die for you and me.  This is a TRUE story and it really happened.  I know that my Savior was resurrected and that He lives!  I also know that if I am faithful unto the end, I will see Him again.  

In chapter 2 we read that many start to forget about the signs they had seen.  

3 Nephi 2:1-2
"And it came to pass that thus passed away the ninety and fifth year also, and the people began to forget those signs and wonders which they had heard, and began to be less and less astonished at a sign or a wonder from heaven, insomuch that they began to be hard in their hearts, and blind in their minds, and began to disbelieve all which they had heard and seen --

"Imagining up some vain thing in their hearts, that it was wrought by men and by the power of the devil, to lead away and deceive the hearts of the people; and thus did Satan get possession of the hearts of the people again, insomuch that he did blind their eyes and lead them away to believe that the doctrine of Christ was a foolish and a vain thing."


Immediately after the sign of Christ’s birth was given, Satan sent forth lies to harden the hearts of the people (see 3 Nephi 1:22). Though the impact was not immediate, it was not long before many people became “hard in their hearts, and blind in their minds, and began to disbelieve all which they had heard and seen” (3 Nephi 2:1).
Elder Neal A. Maxwell (1926–2004) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught that we too can become vulnerable to Satan’s attack on our beliefs: “How quickly [Satan] moves in even where people have had special spiritual experiences, seeking to get people who have seen signs ‘to disbelieve all which they had heard and seen.’ (3 Nephi 2:1–2.) The adversary has a better chance to persuade us that what we believe is foolish if we worry about looking foolish in front of our fellowmen”.
I have been pondering this part of today's reading.  What can we do as disciples of Christ to hold to the Iron Rod and not fall away in our beliefs.  Here are a few thoughts.

Scripture Study:  We need to read and study the words of the Savior and the prophets in the scriptures every day.  If we stay close to the words of Christ, He will not lead us astray.

Daily Prayer:  We seek guidance and talk to our Heavenly Father through prayer.  We can tell Him of our problems, thank him for our blessings, seek inspiration, and find peace by diligently having that daily communication with our Father.  

Serve Others:  Just like I posted yesterday, when we are serving others we are serving our God.  I also know that when I stop thinking about my own needs and immerse myself in serving others, I forget about my problems  It's magical!  I also believe that it's hard to forget about our Savior when we are showing charity like He did.  



Listen to Uplifting Music:  I love listening to music that lifts me up and helps me to think of the Savior and others.  I have a playlist on my computer and phone that plays only these types of songs and music so that when I am feeling I need a lift, I push play!  It helps me also in my church responsibilities and with my family.  I feel inspired to do what He would have me do.  
(My 11 year old just started violin today!  I can't wait to listen to him play the hymns.)

There are many more examples of things that we can do but I wanted to share some with you.  I hope you all enjoyed our chapters for today!  I cannot wait to hear your thoughts.  Have a wonderful day!

Hugs,
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment