Sunday, September 8, 2013

Day 56: Alma 47-48

Hello Dear Friends!

I have had such an uplifting Sunday!  We were blessed to hear talks given by our local church leaders.  I have come away with my cup running over.   I feel the love my Savior has for me and each of his children.  He has not forgotten about us or neglected us.  He has given us the scriptures, prayer, inspiration, charity, love, acts of kindness, endurance, etc., to help us make it through this life.  Let's not kid ourselves, life is hard, right?  I am grateful to know that the Savior is rooting for me and has given me the tools and the map to get back to Him.  I want to start off today's post with the song I Need Thee Every Hour sung by a women's choir at a previous General Conference.  I cannot wait to hear the words of our living Prophet, Apostles, and church leaders in just 4 weeks.  Mark your calendars for Saturday, October 6th and Sunday, October 7th.


Here are the words as found in our Hymn book:

  1. 1. I need thee ev'ry hour,
    Most gracious Lord.
    No tender voice like thine
    Can peace afford.
  2. (Chorus)
    I need thee, oh, I need thee;
    Ev'ry hour I need thee!
    Oh, bless me now, my Savior;
    I come to thee!
  3. 2. I need thee ev'ry hour;
    Stay thou nearby.
    Temptations lose their pow'r
    When thou art nigh.
  4. 3. I need thee ev'ry hour,
    In joy or pain.
    Come quickly and abide,
    Or life is vain.
  5. 4. I need thee ev'ry hour,
    Most holy One.
    Oh, make me thine indeed,
    Thou blessed Son!
I would LOVE for you all to visit one of our church meetings and let me know what you think.  Click HERE to find a church building near you.  We have them all over the world!

My heart is overflowing today with love and gratitude.  I hope you don't mind if I share a little of what I learned with you all today.  It was so neat to hear the speakers mention some of the chapters you and I have just finished reading!  I was thinking in my head…. "I love that story!"  Sometimes I get so excited about the gospel of Jesus Christ I just want to shout for JOY!  I am so happy that I found the church in my early 20's and was baptized.  My life has never been the same since.  You can learn more about the Restoration of the Church on the earth by clicking HERE.  A lot of the theme during this Stake Conference was on missionary work.  We were able to hear from some members of the church who just recently returned from their missions.  We are even related to some of them who spoke today! So blessed to be extended cousins to Bob and Tammy Cardon who just returned from a 2 year mission in Bolivia!

Here are some of the missionaries who we have had the privilege of working with over the years.  One of the ways we can help the missionaries is by feeding them and by listening to their lessons.  I always learn something new and feel the Spirit when they are in my home.  You can feed our missionaries, too, even if you aren't a member of my faith!  Click HERE to find some near you.

Here are some of the Sister missionaries we have had in the past.  They are always so good about getting my children involved in the lesson.

Here is one of the sisters teaching about the Restoration of the Gospel that you can read about HERE.

Here is one of my favorite Sisters who served us a few years ago.  She is already married and has a set of twins!!  What a blessing she was to our family.  I tend to get really close to the Sisters in my area.  



Here is a GREAT video showing a little bit more about what the missionaries in our church do…

Here are some of my notes from our Stake President, President Bowman and some of the other speakers today...

*None of us are perfect and fall short of perfection.  We can only do it through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  (Click HERE to learn more about the Atonement.)

*Let us come BOLDY to the throne of Grace.

*Blessed are they who study the scriptures and hearken unto the Lord's counsel found in them.

*Open the scriptures on a daily basis!

*What are we willing to give the Lord after all He has given to us?

*Faith encompasses a closeness to our Heavenly Father.  (LOVE this one!)

*Start each day with prayer and invite the Spirit.

If any of you would like to know more about what we believe as Mormons you can watch the following video.  It pretty much sums up my beliefs.   If any of you have questions you can click HERE to chat live with a member of my church.  You know that I would also love to answer any of your questions.  If I don't know the answer I will find out for you.  



Today we read about Amalickiah and his wicked plan to become the king of the Lamanites.  So many nuggets of wisdom in these chapters.  He ended up not only killing the King of the Lamanites and taking over the kingdom but he also found favor with the queen and took her to wife!  WOW!!  Some nerve of that wicked man.  I love the verses in Chapter 48 where we see the difference between how the wicked and the righteous prepare for war.

Alma 48:7-10

Now it came to pass that while Amalickiah had thus been obtaining power by fraud and deceit, Moroni, on the other hand, had been preparing the minds of the people to be faithful unto the Lord their God.
 Yea, he had been strengthening the armies of the Nephites, and erecting small forts, or places of resort; throwing up banks of earth round about to enclose his armies, and also building walls of stone to encircle them about, round about their cities and the borders of their lands; yea, all round about the land.
 And in their weakest fortifications he did place the greater number of men; and thus he did fortify and strengthen the land which was possessed by the Nephites.
 10 And thus he was preparing to support their liberty, their lands, their wives, and their children, and their peace, and that they might live unto the Lord their God, and that they might maintain that which was called by their enemies the cause of Christians.


The next verses describe what kind of man Moroni was.  He is such a great example to me and I am so blessed to learn from him.

Alma 48:11-13

11 And Moroni was a strong and a mighty man; he was a man of a perfect understanding; yea, a man that did not delight in bloodshed; a man whose soul did joy in the liberty and the freedom of his country, and his brethren from bondage and slavery;
 12 Yea, a man whose heart did swell with thanksgiving to his God, for the many privileges and blessings which he bestowed upon his people; a man who did labor exceedingly for the welfareand safety of his people.
 13 Yea, and he was a man who was firm in the faith of Christ, and he had sworn with an oath to defend his people, his rights, and his country, and his religion, even to the loss of his blood.

The following verse is SO powerful that I encourage all of you to highlight it in your scriptures.

Alma 48:17
17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devilwould never have power over the hearts of the children of men.

I am going to close today.  I hope you all have a peaceful Sunday.  I want you to always know how grateful I am to be reading the Book of Mormon with you!  Please let me know if you need me to send you a copy of your own.  Just click on the button on the right side of my blog to contact me.

Hugs,
Robyn




No comments:

Post a Comment