Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Day 52: Alma 37-39

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

I hope your week has gone well so far.  Today was a bit of a sluggish day for me.  I stayed up way too late last night and payed the price today with having to get up early with my kids.  I got some things done but they took sooooo long!  My best friend, Karlee, arrives tomorrow.  We have been friends since her husband was in dental school here in Oklahoma.  We met at church and both realized we liked to scrapbook.  It is amazing what a common bond can do to grow a friendship.  Other than that we are pretty opposite.  (At least we were back then!)


(Here is a picture of us with our husbands at her husbands Dental School Graduation dinner.)


(Here we are the day she moved to New Mexico with her husband and 2 kids.  I have never cried before when a friend moved up until that day.  I think I cried for a week!  LOL!  Karlee and I have a special, sister-like friendship.  I am so grateful for her.  We have been able to visit each other at least once every 3 months.)

I will jump right in with my favorite scriptures from today's reading. 

Alma 37:4
"Behold, it has been prophesied by our fathers, that they should be kept and handed down from one generation to another, and be kept and preserved by the hand of the Lord until they should go forth unto every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, that they shall know of the mysteries contained therein."

Alma is talking about the Book of Mormon.  Isn't amazing how he knew just how important the record of the people on the North American continent would be to us in these last days?  I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon and how it is another testament of Jesus Christ.  I am also grateful for the Holy Bible.  I know that as I study these scriptures I can become more like my Heavenly Father.


Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles described ways we could get more from our personal scripture study: “The scriptures contain the words of Christ and are a reservoir of living water to which we have ready access and from which we can drink deeply and long. You and I must look to and come unto Christ, who is ‘the fountain of living waters’ , by reading, studying, searching, and feasting upon the words of Christ as contained in the holy scriptures. By so doing, we can receive both spiritual direction and protection during our mortal journey”

Here is a great talk from one of our past General Conferences given on the scriptures.  It is about 16 minutes long but I hope you will listen to it.  Very inspiring.


I absolutely LOVE verses 6 and 7.  The Lord brings about GREAT things by small and simple things.

Alma 37:6-7
"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise."

"And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls."



Alma 37:33-34
"Teach them to never be weary of good works, but to be meek and lowly in heart; for such shall find rest to their souls."

"O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God."

I know I have already shared the following video but I thought it was so appropriate for the scripture above.  Alma wanted his son, Helaman, to learn all these things in his youth.

Did I already tell you how much I love chapter 37 of Alma?  There are so many nuggets of wisdom in the verses.  Here are a couple more.

Alma 37:36-37
"Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever."

"Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou rises in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day."

I have so many more things to share but it is late and I need to get to bed.  I will close with this very inspiring verse in chapter 38 where Alma is talking to his son Shiblon.  I know that this is absolutely TRUE and his counsel to his son is also counsel unto us today.  I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ changes lives.  It has changed mine and it can change yours, too.

Alma 38:9
"And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ.  Behold he is the life and the light of the world.  Behold, he is the word of truth and righteousness."  















If you have any questions about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints or would like to learn more click HERE.  I love you all and am so grateful you have joined me in my reading today.  Even if you haven't had time to read the Book of Mormon with us, I am so happy to have you stop by and visit!

Hugs,
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment