Sunday, September 15, 2013

Day 63: Alma 63-Helaman 2

Happy Sunday Everyone!

I am still under the weather today.  Boo Hoo!  I even missed church which I rarely do.  My husband had to attend another church an hour away but I was still able to get my kids to church on time.  I just came home and tried to get some rest.

Today we are finishing Alma and starting the book of Helaman.  I learned so much from the book of Alma.  So much to be learned from the wars between the Nephites and the Lamanites.

In the last chapter of Alma we see that Helaman passes on the records to his brother Shiblon before he dies.  Then Shiblon passes on the records to Helaman who is the son of Helaman.

Introduction to Helaman

Helaman 1–4 presents a stark contrast between the fruits of good and evil. We see the results of evil upon society as well as the individual. The personal growth and blessings obtained by Saints who remain faithful in challenging circumstances can provide us with courage to remain true to righteous principles during difficult times. We can contrast the discord brought by wickedness with the great peace and joy obtained by righteousness. Noting these contrasts provides motivation to chart a course based upon principles that will bring happiness and avoid the misery that comes from disobedience.
Here are some great quotes from lds.org regarding Helaman…

    Helaman 1:1–21. Contention Is Destructive

  • The book of Helaman recounts a period of great wickedness among the Nephites. The Gadianton robbers thrived and the masses endured several cycles of wickedness and destructions followed by repentance only to return to wickedness. Many of these troubles could be attributed to “contention” that began in the first chapter of Helaman. While some people might consider “contention” to be a rather innocuous sin, the following General Authorities have commented on the dangers of contention.
    President James E. Faust (1920–2007) of the First Presidency stated in forthright terms that the Spirit of the Lord cannot abide contention: “When there is contention, the Spirit of the Lord will depart, regardless of who is at fault” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1996, 57; or Ensign,May 1996, 41).
  • Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin (1917–2008) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles explained that contention is purposely fostered by Satan to serve his own evil purposes: “The sins of corruption, dishonesty, strife, contention, and other evils in this world are not here by chance. They are evidences of the relentless campaign of Satan and those who follow him. He uses every tool and device available to him to deceive, confuse, and mislead” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1994, 100; orEnsign, Nov. 1994, 76).
  • In contrast to the destructive impact of contention, President Henry B. Eyring of the First Presidency emphasized the unity of the spirit of peace: “Where people have that Spirit with them, we may expect harmony. The Spirit puts the testimony of truth in our hearts, which unifies those who share that testimony. The Spirit of God never generates contention (see 3 Nephi 11:29). It never generates the feelings of distinctions between people which lead to strife (see Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed. [1939], 131). It leads to personal peace and a feeling of union with others. It unifies souls. A unified family, a unified Church, and a world at peace depend on unified souls” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1998, 86; or Ensign, May 1998, 67).

    I know that when there is contention in my house, I do not feel the Spirit present.  To be honest, I had a very rough morning.  I wasn't feeling well and I had to still get my kids ready for church and drive them up to the church where they were going to sit with some of my friends who I had contacted beforehand.  I am grateful that my children are so loving and forgiving.  I know that I am so far from perfect and I also know that when I am not feeling well I don't try as hard to be my best.  I am so grateful for repentance and the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  I know that He knows what I am going through and He understands.  He makes up the difference for my mistakes.

    That is all I have for you today!  Hope you have a wonderful Sunday night!
    Robyn

    No comments:

    Post a Comment