Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 66: Helaman 7-9

Hello Everyone!

I somehow have become one day behind!  Instead of trying to catch up and post two days at once, I am going to just continue where we are.  I have still not completely felt 100%, although today I had more energy than I knew what to do with.  My husband left for Utah at 4:30 am and then I just got up for the day.  I made bread, did laundry, took a shower, did the dishes, packed lunches…..  all before 6:30 am!! If only I could get myself to go to bed early I would love to start off my days like that!

Today's reading is Helaman 7-9.  I hope you are all still enjoying reading the Book of Mormon with me.  I want to thank you for all the e-mails you have sent me so far, sharing your favorite scriptures and personal stories.  I love hearing them!  I know that the scriptures can change lives as my life has been changed forever!  Please continue to send me messages as they brighten my days.

Here is a scripture that has great meaning found in verse 15 of chapter 8…

Helaman 8:15
"And as many as should look upon that serpent should live, even so as many as should look upon the Son of God with faith, having a contrite spirit, might live, even unto that life which is eternal."


    Helaman 8:14–15. “The Brazen Serpent”

  • As a witness against wickedness and as a testimony of Christ, Nephi referred to an incident in the Old Testament when the children of Israel were being plagued by “fiery flying serpents” (1 Nephi 17:41;Numbers 21:6–9). The prelude to the Israelites’ trouble was speaking evil of God and His prophet (see Numbers 21:5), just as the corrupt judges of Nephi’s day were doing. The lifting up of a brass serpent byMoses was a type (a symbolic representation) of the crucifixion of Christ. When the people looked upon the brass serpent, they were healed.
    Moses and brass serpent
    Nephi’s use of this story emphasizes that we “should look upon the Son of God with faith” and live (Helaman 8:15; see also John 3:14–15). Through the atoning sacrifice of Christ, the poisonous venom of Satan was overcome for all who would repent. He then reminded the people that all of the prophets had testified of Christ (see Helaman 8:16–23).
  • Elder Neal A. Maxwell (1926–2004) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles further clarified the symbolism of the brazen serpent retold in the Book of Mormon:
    “Divinely deliberate and serious symbolism is involved. Without this needed elaboration, the Old Testament episode of the fiery serpents does not give us a fulness of spiritual insight that can clearly be ‘for our profit and learning.’ (1 Nephi 19:23.) The symbolic emphasis in this episode is upon both the necessity and the simpleness of the way of the Lord Jesus. Ironically, in Moses’ time many perished anyway. The promise for the future is as follows: ‘And as many as should look upon that serpent should live, even so as many as should look upon the Son of God with faith, having a contrite spirit, might live, even unto that life which is eternal.’ (Helaman 8:15. See also 1 Nephi 17:41;Alma 37:46.)
    “Thus, now we have the verified and amplified analogy, thanks to the precious and plain things given to us in ‘these last records.’
    “The whole episode points toward the need to look upon Jesus Christ as our Lord, likewise a simple but unwaivable requirement. How plain and precious in any age!”.
I'm going to head to bed now.  Getting 5 kids to bed by myself takes a little more energy than I have tonight after a looooong day.  Love to you all!

Hugs,
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment