Monday, July 22, 2013

Day 8: 1 Nephi 19-20


Good Morning Everyone!

I was able to get an early start to this day so thought I would get right on with my Book of Mormon reading and study.  I want to remind everyone to record their thoughts in a journal or notebook.  Sometimes when I am reading my scriptures, something completely different pops into my head.  Maybe something I need to do or someone I need to reach out to.  I hope you will "listen" as the scriptures speak to you this week.  As always, if you are reading along with us online, I would love to send you your own copy of the book.  I do have extras still at my home that I could get out in the mail today or tomorrow.  No worries at all.  I promise.  :)

This week, on July 24th, our church celebrates its Pioneer Day.  It is the day we remember when the first Mormon Pioneers came across the plains and arrived in the Salt Lake Valley.  Although I was not raised in the Mormon church, I can also relate with the Pioneers as I am one of the first in my family (but not the last) to join the LDS church.  Here is a great quote from one of our church leaders.
“We are all needed to finish the work that was begun by those pioneering Saints,” said Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the October 2008 general conference.
“The Lord isn’t asking us to load up a handcart; He’s asking us to fortify our faith. He isn’t asking us to walk across a continent; He’s asking us to walk across the street to visit our neighbor. He isn’t asking us to give all of our worldly possessions to build a temple; He’s asking us to … attend regularly the temples already built. He isn’t asking us to die a martyr’s death; He’s asking us to live a disciple’s life.

Here is a video that tells what what we believe about Modern Day Pioneers.  I believe it is on a Play List, so feel free to watch just the first video or all 103 videos!  LOL!
Here is a link to start our week with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing Come Come Ye Saints.  This song has special meaning to me as well because while I was giving birth to my first daughter, Katelyn, the doctor and all the staff sang it with me while she came into the world. Only in Utah, right!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ia3gYSvG8M&list=TL8Ck1bnutiTQ

Here are the words to the song…
  1. 1. Come, come, ye Saints, no toil nor labor fear;
    But with joy wend your way.
    Though hard to you this journey may appear,
    Grace shall be as your day.
    'Tis better far for us to strive
    Our useless cares from us to drive;
    Do this, and joy your hearts will swell--
    All is well! All is well!
  2. 2. Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
    'Tis not so; all is right.
    Why should we think to earn a great reward
    If we now shun the fight?
    Gird up your loins; fresh courage take.
    Our God will never us forsake;
    And soon we'll have this tale to tell--
    All is well! All is well!
  3. 3. We'll find the place which God for us prepared,
    Far away in the West,
    Where none shall come to hurt or make afraid;
    There the Saints will be blessed.
    We'll make the air with music ring,
    Shout praises to our God and King;
    Above the rest these words we'll tell--
    All is well! All is well!
  4. 4. And should we die before our journey's through,
    Happy day! All is well!
    We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;
    With the just we shall dwell!
    But if our lives are spared again
    To see the Saints their rest obtain,
    Oh, how we'll make this chorus swell--
    All is well! All is well!
A great quote from the Prophet of our church, Thomas S. Monson, to start off our new week of scripture study and reading.


"May each one of us search the scriptures with diligence, plan his life with
purpose, teach the truth with testimony, and serve the Lord with love."
—Thomas S. Monson


Today's study is in Chapters 19 and 20 of 1 Nephi.  In chapter 19 we see how Nephi is commanded to make plates of Ore and write the history of his people.  I love the following scripture in verse 7 of chapter 19…

1 Nephi 19:7
"For the things which some men esteem to be of great worth, both to the body and soul, others set at naught and trample under their feet.  Yea, even the very God of Israel do men trample under their feet; I say, trample under their feet but I would speak in other words -- they set him at naught, and hearken not to the voice of his counsels."

How often do we set the Lord at "naught" and "hearken not to the voice of his counsels"?  That is a really good question for us all to ponder.

My absolute FAVORITE scripture from this chapter is at the end of verse 23 where it reads…
"…but that I might fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning."

In Chapter 20, Nephi quotes Isaiah.  He said in the scripture above his reasons for writing the words of Isaiah in his record.  The thought that comes to my mind is about my personal journal.  Am I writing the things that I want my children and children's children to learn and ponder?  Am I writing what will benefit them later and eternally?   I'm thinking that my journal writing will have much more meaning now if I remember to do these things.  

Okay, that's it for today.  I hope you all have a fantastic Monday!  I'm so glad I got up early this morning.  I feel such a sense of peace with having my scripture study in the morning.  I want to close with a Pioneer picture of my daughter when she was in 4th grade and my son when he was in 3rd grade.  I thought they would be perfect for this week!
(2009)

(Pic of me and my son in 2011)

Love to all!
Robyn

*As always, if you have any questions and would like to chat live with a member of my church, click HERE.

Request a copy of the Book of Mormon 
HERE to join us at any time!  You can read along online HERE while you are waiting for your copy to arrive in the mail.*



1 comment: