Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 2: 1 Nephi 4-6


Happy Tuesday Everyone!

We are on Day 2 of the Book of Mormon Book Club.  To read more about the club click HERE.

As always, if you have any questions and would like to chat live with a member of my church, click HERE.

Request a copy of the Book of Mormon HERE to join us at any time!  You can read along online HERE while you are waiting for your copy to arrive in the mail.

Today we are reading about how Nephi, Sam, Laman, and Lemuel obtained the brass plates and journeyed back into the wilderness to their family.  It was a tough task but as we see by reading this, that anything is possible with the Lord's help and that if he gives a commandment unto us he will help us fulfill it.  My favorite verse in Chapter 4 is...
1 Nephi 4:6
"And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."

I know that in my life when I have been trying to follow the Lord's commandments and teachings I have also been led by the Spirit.
In Chapter 5 we read the story of a mother's love.  Sariah, Nephi's mother, was worried about her 4 boys who had gone back to Jerusalem.  She was concerned (as any mother would be) for their well being and she murmured.  Reading this about such a faithful woman from the scriptures makes me realize that she was human, too.  It helps me to remember that nobody is perfect and that the only way we can be perfect is through the atonement of Jesus Christ.  He was the only perfect person who ever walked the face of the earth.  

When the boys returned to their family in the wilderness here is how Sariah reacted...  

1 Nephi 5:7-8
     "And when we had returned to the tent of my father, behold their joy was full, and my mother was comforted.
     And she spake, saying:  Now I know of a surety that the Lord hath commanded my husband to flee into the wilderness; yea, and I also know of a surety that the Lord hath protected my sons, and delivered them out of the hands of Laban, and given them power whereby they could accomplish the thing which the Lord hath commanded them.  And after this manner of language did she speak."

This experience helped Sariah gain her own testimony of the Lord's commandments.   By reading these accounts in the scriptures I am reminded of how much love the Lord has for us and how great the blessings, if we only trust and have faith.   
(This picture is about 3 years old so my kids look much younger than they are now.)

Chapter 6 in Nephi is very short but it is filled with such wisdom.  My favorite verse is 1 Nephi 6:4...
"For the fullness of mine intent is that I may persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, and be saved."

The following is from the Book of Mormon Study Manual:

Nephi’s motive for writing was to bring people to Jesus Christ so they could be saved. President Ezra Taft Benson (1899–1994) explained how the Book of Mormon accomplishes this important purpose: “The Book of Mormon brings men to Christ. … It tells in a plain manner of Christ and His gospel. It testifies of His divinity and of the necessity for a Redeemer and the need of our putting trust in Him. It bears witness of the Fall and the Atonement and the first principles of the gospel, including our need of a broken heart and a contrite spirit and a spiritual rebirth. It proclaims we must endure to the end in righteousness and live the moral life of a Saint” (“We Add Our Witness,” Ensign, Mar. 1989, 5).


I want to close today by sharing one of my favorite church hymns sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  I hope you will feel a sweet peace as you watch and listen to the words.  Thank you for taking the time to read the Book of Mormon with me.  I pray that you will feel the Spirit and the love our Heavenly Father has for each of you as you read from the inspired pages.  




Please take a minute to leave a comment on this post and share your thoughts and feelings from the first 6 chapters in the Book of Nephi.  Or, just drop by to say "hi"!  

Hugs to you all!
Robyn


8 comments:

  1. Robyn,
    Thanks so much for putting this blog together. I am enjoying the readings and just love the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Please share more songs!

    I am already feeling a sense of peace as we read along. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dell!

      I feel the same way. I find that reading the scriptures brings great peace to my life. What a blessing that is.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for providing the link for the online text. It is so handy for us visually impaired folks. It is so hard to read a regular book anymore but it is a pleasure to read when I can enlarge the print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful reading. I feel like I'm learning so much.

    First, that God will provide the provision and protection to us as we seek to do His will. And today's chapters also spoke to my heart about the importance of paying attention to how the Lord might be speaking to my husband - and how we are to serve God together in our marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your insight Shelley! You are right. God will provide all the provisions and protection we need when we strive to do His Will.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. What I got from these chapters is that God will protect His children. Also that we needed a record of works. I feel it leads toward each of us being a missionary so each person may return to Heavenly. Father

    ReplyDelete
  5. During this reading, I am reminded of a recent quote I read by Dr. Martin Luther King. "Faith is taking the first step, even when you can't see the whole staircase." I am reassured that God has a plan for me, even if I can't envision all that it entails. My plan is to "just keep swimming" as our friend, Dori, might say. I trust in His plan, for when I look back at every trial I have ever had in my life, I can see His hand guiding me through to contentment and improved circumstances. With this kind of proof, I can confidently walk with Him through any future challenges, knowing He can see the staircase ahead so I don't have to.

    ReplyDelete